ARK Grants Program Guidelines
Purpose of this document
This document will lay out general program guidelines and the process for coordinating, approving, and on-boarding, new ARK Grants projects.
Congratulations! If you’ve made it this far, it means you are considering submitting your project idea to the ARK Grants program. That’s great! We are here to help in any way we can. Before you submit your proposal, we would like to provide some basic guidelines that will help you with the approval process and avoid any delays in getting your project up and running.
First, there are some important items that we want to make clear up front. ARK.io is a real, registered business entity and may not be like other companies you have worked with in the blockchain industry. All projects will be coordinated in a professional manner, taking into account all legal and regulatory requirements. To receive project approval, applicants must be able to provide the following for a legal person or legally registered business entity:
- Business Registration Information (if signing as a business)
- Signed formal contract and/or MOU
- Invoices for issuance of payment distributed in BTC and/or ARK
In addition to the above, all projects approved and funded by ARK.io are required to meet the following requirements:
- All projects will be open source.
- The source code for the project will be owned by ARK.io and will be made available under a relevant open source license determined on a case by case basis.
- Projects will be managed in a repository hosted by ARK.io to ensure long term availability of project source code.
- Projects should be developed in TypeScript whenever possible and must follow ARK.io coding standards as outlined in the Technologies section of this document.
If you are uncomfortable providing any of these items or agreeing to the guidelines as outlined in this document, we will be unable to approve your application and/or fund your project.
Developers who have an approved project in the ARK Grants program should follow best practices as established by the ARK.io development team. That includes but is not limited to utilizing the following technologies, languages and libraries whenever possible:
- Typescript is preferred.
- Utilize ARK Logic & custom transaction types (not vendorField) when possible.
- Mobile Development should be done with Ionic/Angular.
- Some of our favorites: NodeJS, VueJS, TailwindCSS, Laravel and Electron.
- For other technology considerations, please get approval before you begin development.
Funding & Milestones
Project funding will be determined based on the category of the project being submitted.
Funding ranges are broken down into categories as follows:
- Proof-of-Concept - (up to $2,500 USD) - PoC projects are projects that create a new and innovative way to use ARK Blockchain technology but are not full production applications. These PoCs serve as examples for developers and a strong starting point for a full fledged blockchain application.
- Desktop Wallet Plugin - (up to $5,000 USD) - Desktop Wallet Plugins are projects that are created specifically to add new and exciting functionality to the ARK Desktop Wallet.
- Full Production Web Application - (up to $10,000 USD) - Full Production Web Applications are projects that feature new and exciting ways to use and interface with data maintained on the ARK Public Network and provide new utility for the network, the ARK Token, or the users.
Final determination on funding will be made by the Project Review Panel and will be presented with the acceptance of the project. Funding offers are final and are not subject to negotiation.
Payments for approved projects are based on a milestone model outlined during the application process. Development will be broken down into specific target milestones that will be reviewed by the ARK.io development team.
Note: Milestones must include and pass full test coverage in order to be approved (where applicable). Projects must also include complete and proper documentation in order to receive their final two milestone payments. The final two milestones for ALL projects will be Documentation and Final Review. Once the Final Review milestone is approved and paid, a project is considered complete.
During the course of the project, applicants will submit a pull request via GitHub once they believe a milestone has been completed. All milestones will go through a proper code review and any feedback or issues will be addressed directly via GitHub. Once a milestone is approved by the ARK.io team, the associated payment will be released.
Milestone payments are broken down as follows:
- 70% of the total project funding will be evenly divided between all project milestones.
- 30% of the total project funding will be tied to a ‘Final Review’ milestone that will require all previous milestones and a fully completed project for release.
Payment for projects can be made in BTC and/or ARK and payment preference will be determined during the approval process. Invoices are required in order for ARK.io to release payment. Payments will be calculated at the USD equivalent rate at the time of milestone submission.
Applications should be completed using the ARK Grants Application Template below. Please fill out all information as requested, to include your personal contact information for coordination of your application. Project reviews may take up to 14 days for initial review of your application. During this time, the ARK.io team will reach out to you with any questions or comments on your application.
Once the project review is completed, we will notify you with an official decision about your project, including any feedback we may have. If your project is approved, we will provide instructions on how to proceed at that time.
Thank you for your interest in the ARK Grants program and we look forward to reading your proposals!
ARK Grants Application Template
Please include the following information in your application where applicable. This will be used to determine whether we believe the project is viable based on your background and experience.
- Email Address
- Slack and/or Discord Handle
- Github Username / Profile Link
- Brief Bio (2-3 paragraphs) & Portfolio Links if available
Please include a project description, outlining the purpose of your application. This should include 1-2 paragraphs outlining the general goal of the project and how the app can benefit the ARK Ecosystem and other developers.
In this section of your application you will outline how you intend to build the application or proof-of-concept. This should include frameworks, languages, an outline of custom transaction types or ARK Logic that will be built, and should contain details on how the application will function.
In order to conduct a proper review of your application and determine the viability of the project, we will need a list of suggested milestones. These milestones will be mapped to a number of hours of development and will assist in determining the funding offer for the project. These milestones will directly map to associated milestone reviews and payment release if your project is approved.
(Title) Milestone 1: (Description) Complete Initial UI Design [40 Hours]
(Outline) This milestone will consist of a full UI design to include all intended features of the plugin and relevant screens. UI design will take roughly 40 hours and the following designs will be included:
- Page Design 1
- Page Design 2
- Page Design 3
For your final two milestones, please include one milestone for ‘Documentation’ and one for ‘Final Review’.
Please provide any closing remarks and/or considerations for your project. This is an opportunity to give any additional details that may be relevant to the approval of your project and to sell us on why we should approve your application.